Now I've gone and done it.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Oh Oh! I think my camera is mad at me. Not my very lovable Panasonic Lumix. The older sibling. This week we had the most brilliant lightning storm and I knew if I was going to get the very best shots I was going to need more camera power. I hauled out the big guns (well in my world anyway!!) and carefully and skillfully added and adjusted all the paraphernalia required to catch a two second lightning bolt racing through the sky. I waited and waited and..there it is...click...NOTHING. Whatttttt?

Long story short, after 10 minutes of scrutinizing what I was doing and re- checking all my settings and hardware I could find nothing wrong. Now I'm thinking maybe karma was coming back to whack me in the touche for all the praising of baby point and shoot. I'd basically done nothing with my Nikon in two months and now I was paying for it. It's as if some deliberate act of defiance was being waged against me and there was nothing I could do.  So today I'll post a brilliant shot my fabulous Nikon D90 captured that I doubt any point and shoot would ever have the competence to do. *wink* And I have made a promise to take the week and shoot exclusively with the Nikon and hope we can get this relationship back on track. Geez. So moody!

4 comments:

Hagen said...

Sweet image. I love the soft out of focus choco heart. I do find the dark upper portion behind the rose is very distracting. How about cropping it down aggressively against the rose?

Sandra Finner said...

I did try to move around the objects quite a bit to not have that distraction but I ran out time. This was a photo from Valentine's Day and I've had more practice since then. Maybe I'll do a blog on what to look for and what to avoid in these situations?

2Hphotography said...

Yes, that would a great blog topic: look for and plan foreground, background, open and closed space, and distractions before taking the shot.

Harry Nowell said...

Lightning is tough - you cannot hope to catch it. You need to leave the shutter open long enough to have the lightning strike during the exposure. It's a tricky thing and best done at night. when you can leave the shutter open for long periods!

Post a Comment