Photo Shoots and Kids. Lesson # 1.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010


In the past, whenever I took pictures of children, they were uaually my own two cuties or my family and friend's little ones. It was typically a casual setting and I'd snap away, standing in the background trying not to be too obvious. I'd wait until later to review the shots I captured. Actually, when my son was a baby I'd have to wait a week for the film to return from processing! I'd select a few great shots that would be framed or sent along to grandparents.


Fast forward to present day. My first ‘official’ shoot of a newborn and a young girl. The beautiful little Violet, only two months old, did not care that mom and dad were trying to capture their bright eyed beauty in a portfolio of magnificent photos to treasure as much as they do her. She really only wanted to sleep.








Abby on the other hand, was only giving up that gorgeous smile if I was able to ‘catch’ her. There would be no pose. No negotiations. She could care less about my shutter speeds. All I knew was the faster I set it, the faster she went.


















And to that note, I learned a lesson about taking pictures of children 'professionally'. You have to think VERY fast, and move even faster. Slow-w-w-w-w-w right down, and then run-n-n-n-n. Expect the unexpected. Predict the unpredictable. Be creative. Be quick. Be patient.



...and I wouldn’t advise on planning a big night out for yourself to celebrate your success if at all possible. You just might need a few extra z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z’s.

4 comments:

Harry Nowell said...

Yay Sandra!
Good work.
Were you a little tired Saturday night?!

Harry

lou truss said...

why do you doubt yourself Sandra. I love the last 3 - great composition.

2Hphotography said...

To paraphrase Yoda: no try, do. And you did. These are all great images. I love the last one in particular. It just screams playfulness. I get the sense that Abby is right in the middle of a game of hide and seek. As you say: be ready and be quick. You were there at the right place and the right moment. The only thing missing is speed of camera controls. So practice practice shoot shoot. And have no doubt: you are on your road.

Yes you are not yet a Jedi, but you are a Padawan.

hagen
2hphotography.ca

Betty-Anne's Paintings said...

I love them!! And I enjoy reading about your adventures every bit as much as seeing the results! Way to go!

Post a Comment