Check. 1.2.3. Check.

Monday, January 25, 2010




Fact #1. There aren’t many genres of music I don’t like. I’ll play them all, dance to them all, sing them all. I’m not a super fantastic singer but I’m OK. At home or out driving, there is usually music on and I'm happily humming along with whatever song is on. I’m not fussy whether it’s a Top 40 hit or a classic blast from the past, I sing them all. I’m not one of those people who drive and TALK to themselves though. They’re weirdos.

Fact #2. I know ALOT of songs. Alot. Even if I’ve never heard a song before, I’ve usually got the chorus down by the end of my first listen. As far as my dynamic range goes, I doubt I’d get though an American Idol audition without Randy Jackson giving me a sympathetic “ I don’t know dawg, it was a bit pitchy to me” but I’ll always have a song to sing.

So when I was asked to shoot Jonathan Becker’s CD release this past week at the Manx on Elgin I jumped at the chance. Music and photography! Could it get any better? Jonathan songs are based on his personal experiences and views of the world, although he sings with the gentleness reminiscent of James Taylor. He was introduced by the equally talented Keturah Johnson who sang with a Janis Joplin edginess. She cracked up when she broke a guitar string halfway through her set but sang the next song a capella until they were able to get her a replacement. I’ve posted a couple pictures of the night. They’re both scheduled to perform at the Rainbow Club in Ottawa in the next few weeks so I would suggest you check them out if possible.

A triple bonus was that we got to hang out with Joey & Julie and devour massive chocolate brownie & ice cream desserts. Good times.





2 comments:

Hagen said...

I love the images. The only photo missing that would turn the collection into a complete story is one of them finished and packing up.

I think #3 could benefit from a counterclockwise rotation to add some tension. Say about 10-15 degrees: just enough so that the neck of the guitar is just below the corner of the image.

Sandra Finner said...

I agree on the suggested composition although I was trying very hard to not disturb the atrist. ( :

Post a Comment