A walk in the rain with Dave Trattles.

Monday, May 10, 2010

He arrived in the room in a whirlwind. Late. Later than me! His crazy curly hair bounced in every direction and he spoke with energy that could light up a town. As he spoke, he seemed unaware of his charm, recounting the many stories about places he's been to and the people he's met. We listened to him talk about his amazing journeys; how he travels the world photographing people living their lives and the often hilarious experiences he's had in the process. His passion for photography.. and people.. are undeniable. His stories I realized are not about himself but of others.


We walked through the Ottawa market in the rain and cold. We talked to strangers. He listened. We listened. We took pictures. I used my point and shoot. I think I used the viewfinder once?

Yesterday, as we sat and chatted, I thanked him. For the opportunity to get a glimpse of his world. For reminding me about committment. For reminding me to trust instincts. For showing me a different perspective. For his opinion. And his humanity.

It was a whirlwind for sure, but an experience that I'll not soon forget.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Great to hear about the workshop. I also love how you write, you are very good at both writing and photography! You need to publish something, combining writing and your images. You should check out blurb.com perfect medium for this!!

Harry Nowell said...

Nicely said Sandra - that's Dave to a T.
I agree with Christine - you have a gift for writing!

Harry

Post a Comment