Sunsets

Thursday, May 27, 2010

If you ever take time to do any serial sunset watching you might begin to think that it never sets the same way twice. And if it looks similar, it seems a more perfect version of itself than it was before. I feel very lucky to be able to have the most amazing view of sunsets from my front porch each evening. Although I'd like to say I leisurely wander outside every single day to sit and watch the sky in all it's glory, the reality is that some days I'm folding laundry upstairs when I get a glimpse of it almost by mistake and I'm immediately mesmerized.

 In the early nineties on my first visit to Mexico, I took the crowded evening 'milk run' into the city. The locals looked exhausted and the bus smelled of a hard days work. As we bumped along I felt the man next to me brush against my arm a couple times, each tap seeming more encroaching than the previous in our confined space. I was thinking about how to address him on it but when I turned, this elderly man with the most incredibly innocent look on his face was tapping my arm. In badly broken English he asked "Have you ever seen such a beautiful sunset where you come from?" I looked up to see the most perfect sphere of orange and red, that my jaw literally fell open and I was completely and totally gobsmacked. Wow...and WOW! How did I even miss that?


  I often think of that elderly man when I see a sunset having a particularly brilliant performance. I say a little  'thank-you' to him out into the universe for reminding me to stop and look. This is the most recent one I took this past weekend...and thank you again Mr. Mexican man. ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment