Humbling Encounter.

Thursday, April 15, 2010


I've met some pretty cool people in my life but I'm kind of  struggling to put into words my experience yesterday and how truly honored I was to be able to meet Steve McCurry. Mr McCurry has worked for many years with National Geographic and is known world wide for his incredible portfolio although he's most famous for his 1985 cover picture of Sharbat Gula, more commonly known as 'Afgan Girl'.

Having grown up in a household where National Geopgraphic magazine was akin to great works of art (because we didn't have any of those!)  he's a bit of a superstar to me. OK seriously, the magazine was on display in order of month & year in our family room book shelf. When that filled, the older issued were moved to the basement where the order remained precise.. and the issues pristine. If you knew my dad, he was the absolute poster child for clutter so this was one of his obvious exceptions to the rule.

That withstanding, it was the most transcendent experience for me, listening to Mr. McCurry talk about his travels to Afganistan, India and the Far East. About countries in turmoil and at war, about nomads wandering without a home working for pennies a day to survive. The photographs were breath taking. The stories equally so. It's as if I held my breath for the 45 minutes he spoke.. not wanting to miss a single word. I've barely been out of North America. How can the world beyond me be so barbaric and inhumane yet so beautiful and innocent?

I encourage you to check his website. http://www.stevemccurry.com/

I've also included a link to an upcoming tv episode about his return to Afganistan to find Sharbat with little to go on except the photograph he'd taken of her as a child. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/finding-the-famous-afghan-girl/26ia2d14

2 comments:

My Painted Porch said...

Now you know if your dad were here, he'd be boasting to EVERYONE who came within any distance of the front porch about this one:-)!!

Sandra Finner said...

You're right on that one Les...he would have been tickled pink.

Post a Comment